We are MoaTrek, a family business running small group guided tours all over New Zealand. Since 1971 we’ve been showing our guests the best of what New Zealand has to offer. We are excited to invite you to become a member of our team of enthusiastic and passionate Kiwis. You'll help the MoaTrek team with a range of different marketing, operational and admin tasks related to our tours.
We accept international or domestic tourism students on unpaid internships in Auckland, New Zealand. This is for students who want to gain work experience with a leading New Zealand tourism company. Find out everything you want to know about our tourism internship program and apply now.
- Broad knowledge of New Zealand as a tourist destination
- Deep and multifaceted understanding of all aspects of the tour operator business
- Ability to work on a variety of tasks depending on your interests
- Since it is a voluntary position and there is no direct compensation, we offer you travel discounts from our suppliers
- Great coffee!
We run small group tours for both international and domestic travellers on our MoaTrek.com and MoaTours.co.nz websites, so you will get a chance to be involved in tasks helping both sides of the business:
- Learn and help with our online marketing: sending out follow ups to our travellers using photos from our trips and feedback forms
- Help keeping our clients and our booking system up to date by adding information about them in our system and sending out brochures
- Assist with maintenance of social media and our website
- Update supplier (hotels, activities operators) information
- Support our accounting team
- Eager to learn
- Interested in travel
- Willing to work in a team
- Familiar with Word and Excel and confident with everyday computing
- Confident in his/her English skills
You will need a visa that will allow you to work in New Zealand. To check which visa you need go to New Zealand Immigration or call New Zealand embassy in your country for advise
Sharing houses is a common practice in Auckland. A room in a house with shared facilities will cost you around NZD$200-250 per week.
- University accreditation:
The MoaTrek internship programme is accepted by most European universities for work placement. It is suitable for students studying Tourism Management, Marketing or similar fields. You are free to work on your university projects (research projects, reports, etc.) during your working hours.
New Zealand’s biggest multicultural city, Auckland is built on a few dormant volcanoes which make it quite hilly (bring some good walking shoes!) and it is surrounded by the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean. Our office is located in the heart of the city's stylish, modern CBD and it is close to all the popular parks, waterfont, bars, shopping and restaurants.
We need you to commit to a minimum of five months with us.
We are unable to offer payment for internships for the initial period. What we can offer is the opportunity to learn and gain a lot of hands on experience in the New Zealand tourism industry. We can also offer some free or discounted tourism activities through our industry partners but this is not guaranteed and may not be available at busy times of the year. Some of our interns have stayed on and become paid members of our staff after their initial period, this is always a possibility.