From 1 October 2019 most visitors to New Zealand must have an Electronic Travel Authority and pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL).
Request your New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZETA) here on the Immigration New Zealand website.
You need to check if you need a NZETA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority or need to pay the levy.
You must request an NZETA before you travel to New Zealand if you are:
- Travelling on a passport from a Visa Waiver country (eg USA, Canada, UK and most European countries)
- A permanent resident of Australia (Australian citizens don't need an NZETA but permanent residents do)
- A cruise ship passenger, regardless of your nationality
- See the list of Visa Waiver countries here.
Who does not need an NZETA?
- Australian citizens travelling on Australian passports
- Anyone who already holds a valid New Zealand Visa
- New Zealand citizens travelling on a New Zealand passport
- New Zealand permanent residents
Visitors from countries which require a visa to enter New Zealand
If you're from a country not on the visa waiver list, you will be required to apply for a New Zealand entry visa and will be charged the IVL alongside your application. See more details about applying for your New Zealand entry visa below.
When to request an NZETA and pay your IVL
Make sure you request your NZETA well in advance of your trip to New Zealand. It can take up to 72 hours to be approved. If you do not hold your NZETA when you check in for your flight or cruise you will not be allowed to board.
How and where to I apply?
You can request your NZETA and pay your IVL by downloading an app to your mobile phone or on the Immigration New Zealand website here.
How much will it cost?
- The NZETA costs NZD $9 for requests submitted through the app or NZD $12 for requests submitted through the website.
- The IVL costs NZD $35 per person and is charged in the same transaction as the NZETA.
- They are both valid for multiple visits and up to 2 years.
What are the NZETA and IVL for?
The NZTEA is to streamline and pre-check visitors to ensure domestic security in New Zealand.
The IVL is to help fund infrastructure in New Zealand used by visitors such as waste water systems, public toilets and facilities in national parks and conservation areas. Especially in smaller population areas where the resident rate payer base is small and does not support the level of investment required.