For the purpose of explaining our tour itineraries we’ll split the South Island into three sections, the first being from the very top of the South Island through to the high country of Mt Cook and surrounds.
The unique areas of this part of the South Island, which you won’t see anywhere else in New Zealand are:
- Marlborough Wine Country. Our most famous wine region and home of the world famous Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Visiting a winery for lunch and tasting is a must here.
- Abel Tasman National Park. With its combination of pristine coastline, white sand beaches and native forest a day out in Abel Tasman is always a highlight. The excellent water taxi service up and down the coast makes it easy to combine a visit to the park with a day walk of whatever distance suits you.
- Kaikoura Marine Life. The deep ocean trenches just off the coast of Kaikoura make it a perfect place for Whale or Dolphin viewing, or Kayaking with Seals. Of course the seafood is great here too!
- Aoraki Mt Cook National Park. Home to our highest mountain and longest glacier, staying overnight in Mt Cook village means this alpine wonderland is literally on your doorstep and there are lots of short walks or guided glacier experiences to get you right out amongst it in a safe and easy way.
- The South Island High Country. The landscapes of the South Island High Country, from Lakes Tekapo and Pukaki all the way down over the Lindis Pass and through the Kawarau Gorge into the Wakatipu will have you working your camera overtime. Million dollar views round every corner.
Our favourite South Island spots, included in our tours:
The Marlborough Sounds & Marlborough Wine Country, Abel Tasman National Park, Kaikoura, Mt Cook National Park and the South Island high country.
Our favourite South Island experiences, included in our tours:
The Interislander ferry from Wellington to Picton, lunch and wine tasting in Marlborough, Abel Tasman Cruise or Cruise / Walk day trip, home hosted lunch at Akaunui Homestead.
South Island optional experiences our guests love:
Kaikoura Whalewatch, Kaikoura Sunset Sea Kayak, Glacier Explorers on the Tasman Glacier lake, short walks in Mt Cook National Park.
Southern hospitality at Akaunui Homestead
One place that we stop on all our South Island tours and have the hardest time getting people to leave is our home hosted lunch at Akaunui Homestead in Canterbury. Our friends Ian & Diana have been welcoming our guests like family to their home for years, we’ve met all the kids, grand kids and pets now!
MoaTrek tours which visit Marlborough, Abel Tasman, Kaikoura and Aoraki Mt Cook National Park:
Kakapo 21 Day Tour
Kaka 17 Day Tour
Kakariki 16 Day Tour
Kiwi 12 Day Tour